Re: PFE R40-10/23/25 running boards

Dick Harley

On Sat May 2, 2009 Tim O'Connor wrote me and the STMFC list about
specialties for early PFE steel ice reefers. Tim reposted info I had
created from drawing 283-C-8962 on the R-40-23 class. Tony Thompson
noted that some specialty info for the R-40-10 class was available on
page 435 of the 2nd edition of the PFE Book.

I have created a folder titled "PFE Info from CSRM" in the Files
section of this list that contains scans of Form 78-1 info. You can
use that info to create your own lists of Specialties that are of
interest. If this information is of value to you, I request that you
please send a donation that is designated for the CSRM Library to the
CSRM Foundation. http://www.californiastaterailroadmuseum.org/
doc.asp?id=10 You can tell them that I sent you.

As you can see, starting with the R-40-23 class, the Form 78-1 no
longer listed the Specialties, but it does list the drawing number
for the Allocation of Specialties drawing. I do not yet have copies
of those drawings for ice reefer classes above R-40-23, and I don't
know that they will ever be retrievable from UP again. That is a
long story. I see that Paul Lyons is trying to get the R-40-25
Allocation of Specialties drawing.

The issue of replacement metal running boards on the R-40-10 class
was mentioned by Tony and others. In fact, many of the Form 78-1
cards for the R-40-10 class do exist at the CSRM Library (or at least
they did a few years ago), and Dan Smith and I have copies of several
hundred of them. The metal running boards and brake steps were
installed as part of a large "General Repair" program that also
included stage icing, electric fans and many other items. The Form
78-1 for R-40-10 #41250 is shown on page 435 of the 2nd edition of
the PFE Book. Judging from the card copies I have, that program
happened between 1951 and 1954 at many locations. By the early
1950s, PFE was using running boards and brake steps from many
different manufacturers. Dan Smith has done some tabulation work
with the R-40-10 copies we have. While Apex is used on about 50% of
the cars, the others are divided among the following: Gypsum,
Kerrigan, Morton, Transco, and Weigman. The last of those I had
never heard of before.

The definitive article on freight car running boards and brake steps
by Ed Hawkins is in the Railway Prototype Cyclopedia volume 16.

Hope this helps,
Dick Harley