Re: PFE R40-10/23/25 running boards

Ed Hawkins

On May 3, 2009, at 2:41 PM, Dick Harley wrote:

<SNIP>

Dan Smith has done some tabulation work
with the R-40-10 copies we have. While Apex is used on about 50% of
the cars, the others are divided among the following: Gypsum,
Kerrigan, Morton, Transco, and Weigman. The last of those I had
never heard of before.

The definitive article on freight car running boards and brake steps
by Ed Hawkins is in the Railway Prototype Cyclopedia volume 16.
Dick,
Thank you for making the PDF list of R-40-10 specialty items available.
Also thanks for the RP CYC plug. Weigman is one I've haven't heard of
either. When writing the article I wondered how many rarely used
running boards would surface after it was published. Weigman is the
first. It wouldn't surprise me if there were more.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins