Re: C&IM 70-ton gondola car builder and date

water.kresse@...

Mr. A.T. Kott,

Thanks for the clarifications.  I found two images of C&IM 7199 in my 1937 CBC (overhead interior and near side view).  The interior shot clearly shows the Murphy style ribs.  The captions have the key data.  If the Illinois Bituminous coal packing density weighed around 54 pounds/cu ft it would hit its load limit of 155,000 pounds without heap.

Actually, I believe I saw three types of end panel rib-ends: pointed (Murphy), flattened, and split or bi-forcated(sp).

So all came out of Pullman, but different plants?

1927 Lot 5423 Michigan City

1937 Lot 5562 Hammond

1948 Lot 5909 Butler

You have to wonder how much series-specific tooling they kept in their back lots.

Al