Re: Lehigh Gas tank cars - Norwich Connecticut

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Marty,

Have you checked the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps? They should include detailed ground plans of this facility. Your public library can probably get what you need on microfilm. Also try the Norwich historical society or the nearest university library. Some libraries can access the maps online (where I work we have only Virginia).

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

cvsne wrote:

As luck would have it one of the towns on my Central Vermont layout is Norwich, Connecticut - known for many things but among Steam Era freight car fans and modelers it's most likely best known as the location of a Lehigh Gas facility - see
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/gallery/tank/acf/lgx500main.html

While I'm interested modeling the cars I'm also trying to track down some information on the facility itself, and I'm curious if any portion of the facility in Norwich shows up in the background (or anywhere) in pictures of the tank cars themselves.
Oh, and I welcome any suggestions on the best way to model these particular cars.
Thanks,
Marty