Re: RC PFE R-30-12-9

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Tim,

Even if the body was right, the RC model's underframe isn't right for the WP/PFE cars. Most, if not all (there is some doubt about this, see Tony's book), used the later R-30-13 underframe. IIRC, this was called a 30-ton "built-up" underframe. You can use Tichy's 40-ton underframe parts to come close.

I used my original short-body kits to build four of the R-40-6 egg cars on R-30-11/12 underfames, as supplied by RC. Their body dimensions are very close to the R-40-6 diagrams. Some details may be compromises, but given the paucity of information about these cars and a complete lack of photos, I am satisfied.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Tim O'Connor wrote:

I'm pretty sure if you check this kit, it has the original carbody
and is neither an R-30-12 nor an R-30-9. Moreover, it is simply not
correct for the WP cars.