Re: RC PFE R-30-9 (was RC PFE R-30-12-9)

Gene Green <bierglaeser@...>

I am looking at Red Caboose kit RC-4151-2 for PFE car number 92821. Would anyone care to comment on its accuracy?

The color of the side is achieved by using orange plastic. It gives the unassembled kit that glow-in-the-dark look. If I would weather the car a-la-Hendrickson (no offense, Richard, you do good work) I could probably cover that glow-in-the-dark look but I don't usually weather that heavily.

Does anyone have an alternate suggestion? Should I paint the inside of the body black?

I am fortunate enough to have the PFE book (Sorry, that should be THE PFE book) so I can get good lettering information. Should I search for decals and simply repaint the whole thing?

Maybe I should just put it together and forget about it. More than 30 years ago I operated regularly on a model railroad populated with Model Die Casting freight cars and passenger cars to the virtual exclusion of all else. That railroad was more fun than any I've operated on before or since. That may be a clue to my definition of model railroading fun.

Gene Green