Re: RC PFE R-30-12-9

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Mike,

Let me say by way of clarification, there is no physical or photographic evidence of the R-30-12 underframes under any WP-owned PFE cars, as discussed in Tony's PFE book. One might have expected the first 200 cars to have had the -12 Bettendorf underframes, but the builder's photo in his book clearly shows the -13 built-up underframe bolster ends. No numbers can be attached to the supposed R-30-12 underframes, and I am of the opinion that they were never actually built this way.

Based on suggestions by Richard Hendrickson in one of his articles in DING when these RC models were new, I built modified several of these cars with the Tichy parts. Not hard at all. Both my WP cars have them, and I also did some regular PFE cars as R-30-13-9s (R-30-9s by my 1950s period).

R-40-6s had both Bettendorf and "built-up" underframes (they were actually rebuilds of cars from several classes). By a stroke of luck, the last one with a "built-up" underframe was scrapped in 1956, two years before my time period. All my R-40-6 cars use the stock RC Bettendorf underframes, and have correct numbers from the remaining cars circa 1958.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Mike Brock wrote:

Garth Groff writes:

Even if the body was right, the RC model's underframe isn't right for
the WP/PFE cars. Most, if not all (there is some doubt about this, see
Tony's book), used the later R-30-13 underframe. IIRC, this was called a
30-ton "built-up" underframe. You can use Tichy's 40-ton underframe
parts to come close.
Yes, the PFE book suggests that about 200 WP cars out of 2775 might have the "12" design. Using the Tichy underframe is a good solution given the fact that I went the other way prior to Red Caboose cars, making Bettendorf underframes by modifying the Tichy underframe.
That was before my first visit to Sunnybrook Rest Home.

Mike Brock

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.