From: asychis @ aol .com
To: STMFC @ yahoogroups .com
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:38:25 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [ STMFC ] The growing problem of erroneous captions

Ed Hawkins wrote "The caption in the NYC color guide book is erroneous."

Erroneous information in the 128-page wonder books is certainly a  problem.
 It is a shame that these authors, editors and  publishers do not realize
that these are not "pretty" books, but should be  regarded as histories.  As
more and more faulty information gets  into print, the quality of railroad
history is degraded.  It  is degraded because each and every caption needs to
be analyzed,  post-publication, by an expert on a particular railroad to
whom accuracy is important. Only someone devoted to a specific railroad  or
railroad era knows when the information is wrong.  Since I  follow the
Missouri Pacific I can usually spot errors in books related to  that railroad (and
they are legion), but I'm at a loss when it comes  to determining if
information in a caption tagged to an NYC or C&O  photo is accurate.  If it were
not for lists such as this, these  inaccuracies would go unnoticed. However
the corrections noted here  are somewhat ephemeral; even if you search the
archives. I would like to  trust the information in these books. As it stands,
however, the  accuracy of these books is at times equivalent to the
accuracy of  Lionel paint schemes.  Thank goodness we have the  Hawkins, Thompsons ,
Cullotas and others who produce  quality railroad history books that
counterbalance the pathetic  efforts of the picture books.

Now if we could lay to rest the RMJ-inspired urban myth that the  Missouri
Pacific had blue cabooses!

Jerry Michels
**************Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop: Now in 6 vibrant colors! Shop Dell’s
full line of laptops.