Re: Confused by RMC review of Accurail plug+sliding door box car

Tim O'Connor

Dennis

The large UNION PACIFIC gothic lettering began in 1956.

The BC-50-8's received new roofs, ZU eave, diagonal panel.
There's a fine builder photo of UP 110052 in the UPCG Vol. 1.
Also the UP cars had 12' door openings (6+6) while the Soo
cars have 14' (8+6) like the model. (The Color Guide caption
ridiculously says that the UP opening is 9'10" -- weren't we
just lambasting Morning Sun captions?)

Front Range produced a model decorated for UP as a BC-50-8,
although they wisely left off the car class, and all dates! :-)
The Front Range doors measured just over 12' wide. However,
the car has a flush roof and lacks the diagonal rivets for
the door post. (Easily corrected now with Archer rivets.)

So really, the Accurail car is best suited to represent the
Soo Line cars. Major surgery is needed for other prototypes.
And there's still those old Front Range, and McKean (PS-1),
bodies floating around...

Tim O'Connor

Yes, That's what the pix in our files show. That's why we lettered our model as a BC-50-*8*, and we have a scan of a photo showing it with the large UNION PACIFIC on two lines, with the 'Be Specific' slogan. From your dates on the paint scheme change, it would appear these were rebuilt sometime prior to 1961 or '62. Re-weigh date on the photo is no help, as the car has a new 1965 date over a paint patch.

I have to admit, a NEW 4-47 weight date made it onto the model, it's a victim of our policy of putting the oldest applicable weigh date on models so they will be most useful to the most modelers. I don't think the graphics guy realized these cars were rebuilt, until this morning I didn't either.

Now that we've tied these cars to the B-50-39 cass, I see that these cars did not have "ZU" eave construction, same as our model. So these, and the SOO car, are actually the most correct.

Dennis