From: "Douglas Harding" < dharding @ nethtc .net>
To: STMFC @ yahoogroups .com
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:41:35 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [ STMFC ] Re: The growing problem of erroneous captions

Two weeks ago I was researching the M& StL at the Mercantile Library in St.
Louis, accessing the Barriger Collection. While going through John
Barriger's photo album of the M& StL photos, I noticed more than a few photo
captions contained errors. While these were not freight car photos, a person
using this collection as a first source of historic value, could come away
with incorrect information in their notes. I mentioned the errors to the
attendant, but had no way of correcting the captions. While I knew the
correct information for the M& StL , the experince made me suspicious of other
"facts" recorded for which I was not familiar. I know, you should always
double check and verify, but sometimes when doing historic research you only
have one source.

As to captions in books and magazines, as an author I have submitted
captions which were not used or edited to where I hardly recognized them. If
the person who does the finally proof reading does not know the subject
matter, well .....

Doug Harding
www . iowacentralrr .org