Re: Old Wine Tank Car was: Re UTLX type V tanks

Rod Miller

Hi Bruce,

Bruce Smith wrote:
On May 27, 2009, at 2:53 PM, Rod Miller wrote:

A faint recollection from a visit to the Bully Hill
Winery (www.bullyhill.com) was of a frameless tank
car setting alongside the road. [Bully Hill was
created as a protest against "tank car wine from
California" - you find out lots through the above
link or google]. Oh, Bully Hill is near Hammondsport
on Keuka Lake, one of the New York finger lakes.
Bully Hill was so named because the owner, a Mr. Taylor was prohibited by Taylor Wines from using his name on his wine, and yes, he did protest about "tank car wine" with much gusto and frequency <VBG>.
The Taylor family sold the winery to a large wine
company. Walter Taylor has started his own winery using
the Taylor name. The large wine company sued to prevent
his use of the Taylor name. So the winery name was changed
to Bully Hill; the wine label featured a billy goat, and
the motto was They take my name but they can't get my goat.

I was successful in locating a photo of the car:

http://www.pbase.com/steveyaphotos/image/66949785

Unfortunately no frame details are available. The
car looks interesting and unlike and other wine
tank car I've seen. Perhaps parts (domes) are missing
if the car was purchased from the scrap line. If I'm
back there this summer I'll get better photos of the
car at least to satisfy my curiousity (and post them
of course!)
It appears to be an insulated 3 dome tank. I'm not sure any type V were insulted... and it really doesn't look like a type V anyway. My guess is that you memory has deceived you and that this car has a frame. No doubt delivered by the the Bath and Hammnondsport RR?
All bets are off when it comes to memory as I saw the
car at least 10 years ago when it wasn't as covered by
vines as it is now. Best is if I can get some better
photos of it; my wife's family usually gathers about 20
miles away for one week in August. No doubt the B&H
brought the car to Hammondsport, which is very close to
the winery.

Rod
Regards
Bruce