Re: Old Wine Tank Car

Rod Miller

Posted approx last year (to this group IIRC):

http://users.snowcrest.net/photobob/sj23.html

Rod

Anthony Thompson wrote:

Richard Townsendt wrote:
While we have been conditioned to think of wine tank cars as having five or six domes, that was not necessarily the case.? I have seen photos of single dome tanks being loaded with wine, and I imagine tank cars with any number of domes (well, any number between zero and six, inclusive, anyway) were used to haul wine.? I think the Kaminski tank car book has photos of wine tank cars with various numbers of domes, but I do not have access to my copy right now.? BTW, the zero-dome tank cars I am thinking of are the Chateau Martin ex-milk tanks.
Actually, the page you may be thinking of is in the AC&F book, page 91, which was deliberately arranged to show wine cars of one, three, four and six domes. (I've never seen a five-dome car, but Richard Hendrickson is the real expert on this topic). Kaminski's tank car book also has photos of one, four and six domes.
Publishers of books on railroad history