Re: Meat reefer questions

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 3, 2009, at 9:58 PM, gn3397 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions pertaining to the painting and lettering of
meat reefers. Here goes:

2) When did Swift start applying the red banner on cars? I have
seen 1947 and 1948, but can anyone specify the date?

I have photos of cars dated 4/49 without and 8/49 with - actually
several of the latter, which suggests that the photographers had not
seen cars with the red banners before that date.

3) When did Wilson start using the small "W" logo on cars? I know
it was postwar, but am not certain of the year.

I have a photo of a Wilson car repainted in 4/48 which does not have
the logo, and a photo of a car repainted in 6/50 which has the small
logo. Later, ca. 1952, Wilson adopted a larger version of the "W" logo.

Richard Hendrickson