Re: Freight car trucks - bibliograph?

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 6, 2009, at 11:41 AM, Brian Chapman wrote:

My goal is to draw a number of transition-era trucks in 3D. May I
ask you if Karig's book provides drawings, straight-on photos or
other information about trucks I would find useful to achieve my goal?

You would certainly find Karig's book helpful. Also, there are
numerous drawings and photos of trucks in the truck section of each
of the Car Builders' Cyclopedias of that era. If you are interested
in trucks that remained in use during the transition era (in contrast
to having been designed or first introduced in that period), the
CBCycs from the 'teens through the 1940s would be worth consulting.
These are available in large libraries and at some railroad museums
(e.g., the California State RR Musem library in Sacramento, which
also has a number of RR drawings of freight car trucks from the Santa
Fe and Southern Pacific mechanical department files).

Richard Hendrickson