Re: Express Reefers [was Complaint]

sswain@...

Hi:

I don't know that the Maritime fishery was involved but seeing as we are
talking fresh fish, speed was critical to keep the time from the water to
the consumer's plate at a minimum. Therefore my guess would be yes as I
expect that fishing boats weren't also travelling to New York and other
ships wouldn't have been particularly fast.

sswain@... wrote:

CN 10000-10099 express reefer kit in
HO scale. I'm told these wood-sheathed cars were commonly seen in New
England headed to New York loaded with fresh fish from fisheries such as
that based in Prince Rupert BC and the inland fisheries of Manitoba,
Ontario, etc.
Probably from maritime fisheries, too, or would that be
assumed to be unable to compete with direct coastal shipping? In
any case, CN express reefers were common on the Rutland's
passenger trains originating in Montreal (and presumably empties
returning). Since these trains went to both NYC and Boston, I'm
not sure which of these was the destination of the Canadian fish.

Jeff English Troy, New York
Proto:64 Classic Era Railroad Modeling
englij@...

| R U T L A N D R A I L R O A D |