Re: FYI: Choices. Caveat Emptor

Tim O'Connor

When I mail ordered my Dell computer from Texas, I had to pay
Massachusetts sales tax. I think Massachusetts has a law but it
is only enforced for big ticket items like computers -- and
especially, automobiles! (If you buy a car out of state, and
try to register it, they'll whack you for the tax.) Dell may
have offices in this state, so that may be the key.

I've never paid MA sales tax on an out of state freight car!

Tim O.

If Greg is right, there are an awful lot of retailers, phone,
mail and internet, who ignore the rule. And speaking as a publisher
who ships all over the country, I have never heard from ANY state
which wants us to collect taxes for THEM.

Tony Thompson