Re: UP 40' auto box

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 20, 2009, at 1:02 PM, mcindoefalls wrote:

I'm interested in modeling UP 471441, a 40' double door boxcar,
since it's been documented as operating on the route I want to
model. Is this the same class as the Trix double-door model, or the
Intermountain? If not, are photos, plans, or diagrams out there,
somewhere, of cars in the same class?

UP 471441 was an A-50-7 class car, originally wood sheathed but
rebuilt ca. 1940 into a steel sheathed car. The steel rebuilds kept
the original Bettendorf underframes and 5-5-5 corrugated ends with
two additional corrugations at the top. Roofs were panel steel,
doors were 12' double corrugated, trucks were AAR with spring planks,
running boards were wood, hand brakes were Ajax or Universal, and
couplers were bottom-operated Type E. A kitbash is possible based on
a model of a 10'6" IH AAR standard box car (e.g., Intermountain), but
double doors would have to added and the underframe replaced.

Richard Hendrickson