From: FRANK PEACOCK <frank3112@msn.com>
Subject: [STMFC] UTLX Leasing Practices
To: stmfc@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, June 21, 2009, 6:01 AM

Thanks for the replies. I admit that it has been almost four years since I've read JDR's Secret Weapon by Carr. He is good on UTL's origins, but less good on the time period most of us are modeling. For example, what % of UTC's traffic came from the former Standard Companies in the forties and what % came from "outside"? Carr does say (p.207f) that UTC started looking for customers outside the former Standard Companies well before WWII, somewhere around the late 'twenties. I suppose that UTC(changed from UTL in June 1919) realized that being the "secret weapon" was good when the guys using you controlled 95% of the market, not so good when that percent went to 60% and falling. Spindletop (1901) changed everything. It took a few years but upstarts like the Texas Co., Gulf, Sun, Phillips, Skelly, etc. began eroding the former Standard Companies' market share. Back to the original question: how did the T&P Ry. move all the extra crude out of the Permian
Basin 1947/48? I suspect that due to the size of the two major tank car companies, UTLX with 38814 and GATX with 37428 cars (10/47 ORER) they were the primary sources. Depending on assumptions I figure that it would take several thousand cars to cover this movement. FHP(Frank H. Peacock)
http://windowslive. com/Tutorial/ Hotmail/QuickAdd ?ocid=TXT_ TAGLM_WL_ HM_Tutorial_ QuickAdd_ 062009