Re: Well, that's . . . odd

Schuyler Larrabee

Tim, thanks for the reply.

What do you mean, "flat" lacquer? You mean a lacquer based flat coat?
The lacquer in that case is just the thinner.
Right, I know that. Actually, the "vehicle," not the thinner.

When it evaporates, the
other substance can gel. I've lost many paints to this -- in all cases
because the cap is not airtight.
The top was tight, I'm fairly obsessive about that. A nice pair of crescent pliers are on the
painting booth

Do you mean that it solidified instantly when you inserted the tube
into the bottle?
Yes.

Are you sure it wasn't already jelled?

Yes, it shook up just fine. I had to shake it for QUITE some time, as the solids (the flatting
agent) was settled in the bottom of the bottle big time.

I've only
seen "instant gel" form when combining incompatible liquids, like
acrylic with something that it reacts to chemically. Maybe your tube
was contaminated?
Well, I suppose that's possible. I had not been painting before this episode. I was cranking
everything up just to apply the flat coat. IF, that's IF, the contamination came from the tube, it
was thoroughly dry. Do you (plural for the list) have separate tubes (and airbrushes?) for acrylic
vs. solvent based paint?

SGL

Tim O'Connor

Not long ago, I went to use some flat lacquer I have used with great success in the past. When I
put the snorkel (or whatever that tube-in-the-cap is called) into the bottle, the lacquer, uh,
well,
sort of crystallized. Not truly into a solid mass, but it kind of jelled or something. I pitched
the bottle and gave the snorkel a very serious cleaning.

Database version: 6.12650