Re: Well, that's . . . odd

Schuyler Larrabee

One thing I've done to try to extend the life of Scalecoat 1 in the past is, when I'm ready to close
up the bottle, dropper some fresh thinner on top of the paint, and then store it without shaking it.
It just goes on a shelf and sits there until next time, and I've had good luck with that.

SGL

Disagree all you like, I was sharing my experiences. Now there is also the possibility that
humidity levels could be factor
in this as well.
I do know that Scalecoat strongly recommends not to return thinned paint back to the original
bottle and that a custom
painter I know in Winnipeg as also urged me to follow that procedure.
Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
wrote:

Pierre

I totally disagree with that statement. I have a couple dozen
opened bottles of Scalecoat and I routinely put thinned paint
back in the bottle. They only gel when the cap is not airtight.
Floquil bottles seem to have the best airtight seals.

I have found that your statement is correct when it comes to
acrylic paints. It's best to toss out the thinned paint while
exposing the original bottle to as little air as possible by
opening it only briefly to remove some.

Tim O'Connor

Schulyer,
What you've described is exactly what happens to Scalecoat paints if you allow thinner or
unused thinned paint to
return into the bottle of "fresh" paint.
Even if the bottle is well sealed.
Pierre Oliver

Database version: 6.12650