Re: Freight car maintenance

Douglas Harding <dharding@...>

Other source of poor running is the axle ends. If the axle is plastic, even the slippery kind, the ends can also get coated with
the same gunk that accumulates on plastic wheels. Kadee wheel sets have plastic slippery axles and I have found they accumulate
the crud. I no longer used Kadee wheels for this one reason.

Also clean out the axle holes in the trucks. Get the tool from Micro Mark or Reboxx for doing this. It will clean out accumulated
crud, burs and flash, and reshape the cone if needed for optimum rolling characteristics.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org