Re: FGEX in MR

Jack Mullen

--- In STMFC@..., "Bruce Smith" <smithbf@...> wrote:

I was disappointed to see that the history of this car was basically
ignored. Built as a clone of the 1927 cars, the measurements shown in the
drawing indicate that it was rebuilt to the 12' 11" eave height at some
point.
Are you sure? Bill Welch's monograph and ORER entries indicate that the rebuilt cars were renumbered into the 57000-59999 series. The drawings are based on 50220, still bearing its original number. The eave height isn't called out on the MR drawing, but it scales about 12'8". The running board height is dimensioned 13' 4 1/4" vs. 13' 3 5/8" in the drawing reproduced in the 1931 Cyc. I think the small difference is consistent with the change to a steel roof and steel running board, but not enough to allow a 3" increase in the carbody height.

However, I was happy to see the underframe agrees with the photos
I have of the FGE reefer at the B&O museum, indicating that the underbody
arrangement of the IM model is most likely incorrect, or reflects an
unusual version.
I'm surprised that nobody has commented on the really odd thing in the MR drawing - the two-level floor shown in the cross-sections. I think this must be an error from misinterpreting what was seen from underneath. The original underframe (per Cyc.drawing) shows flooring supported on wood stringers, 7" deep stringers resting on the side sills and crossbearers, and 3 to 4" deep stringers above the center sills. The dimensions are different because the top of the crossbearers and side sills is a few inches below the top of the centersills.

The MR drawing shows this construction from the side stringer to the middle stringer, and a lower floor section in the center, at the height of the center sill. The underbody photos do appear to show lower flooring in the area between the middle stringers.

Obviously, a floor with a stepped-down section would be impractical.

I suspect that the prototype has had subflooring added between the stringers during some rebuilding, perhaps to provide space for additional insulation. The original, true floor would remain above the stringers. Sometime later, the portion of subflooring between the side stringer and middle stringer was removed, but the part from the middle stringer to the centersill remains. The photos and drawings show strips, approx. 2"x4" along the sides of the stringers which would have been added to support the subfloor.

I know my description won't make any sense without reffering to the drawings in MR, and may not anyway. ;)

Any other thoughts?

Jack