Re: Kadee 158s and scale appearing coupler boxes

Tim O'Connor

But Dennis, you make polystyrene coupler box covers for
most of your kits, and nearly every other manufacturer
does the same thing. If the hobby isn't up in arms about
the boxes falling apart, don't you think that the glue
must be working? (Yes, I've had a couple dozen failures
over the years. I glue them back together.) Athearn has
been using stupid metal clips that are notorious for
coming off -- and they switched to polystyrene for their
more recent models.

Tim O'Connor

Tim, we need the strength and low friction properties of an engineering resin to ensure that our tiny little couplers are robust enough to stand up to the rigors of service. If we made the boxes from styrene, people would try to use only glue to attach them, and the couplers would knock the covers off during hard couplings. Then everyone would complain that they were "no good", because they "always" fail. Form has to follow function, not wishful thinking.
Dennis Storzek
Accurail, Inc.