Re: Color of the PRR X31 Boxcar at Cajon Pass

Jim Lancaster

--- In STMFC@..., Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

On Jun 25, 2009, at 2:38 PM, rwitt_2000 wrote:

Does any one wish to comments about the color of the PRR X31 boxcar
also captured in this sequence of photos from Cajon Pass.

http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/cp/cajon_64.html
<http://www.geocities.com/jim_lancaster.geo/cp/cajon_64.html>
Bob,

PRR's FCC (freight car color) varied depending on the era. The car
shown is in the shadow keystone scheme, which would have been a more
red-brown, less orange color than a car in the ball/circle keystone
scheme. In addition, the car shown has significant weathering of the
body paint, which appears to be an all-over sooty brown, also
darkening the apparent color of the paint. So to sum it up, it looks
like a nicely weathered X31A, the color seems to be accurately
captured (not shifted), but it should not be misconstrued to
represent anything like the original color.

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL
I went to Cajon Pass that day in 1964 to photograph passenger trains. I'm glad the freight cars are of interest as well.

Jim Lancaster