CP received a lot of coal in B&O hoppers as well from the
Ogdensburg/Prescott ferry connection.

Alan

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Armand Premo<armprem2@...> wrote:
   Andy,I must vehemently disagree.Pennsy and B&O hoppers were sent all over.I have several years of company coal reports which show heavy traffic by both the B&O and Pennsy hoppers among others .Coal was a common commodity contributing to a very high percentage of traffic on most railroads during the steam era.Some railroads actually sent their hoppers to mines.The N&W shipped a bulk of its coal to tidewater terminals ,but still sent some over land routes.Armand Premo
 ----- Original Message -----
 From: Andrew Miller
 To: STMFC@...
 Sent: Friday, July 03, 2009 11:09 AM
 Subject: Re: [STMFC] Why so little discussion on coal car models?

 Al,

 One of the reasons may be that coal cars (hoppers and some gons) were for the most part captive cars. That is, they remained on the home road. Yes there were exceptions, many exceptions. This list waxed eloquent for months about a N&W hopper on Sherman hill ;-) But for the most part the only prototype modelers interested in N&W hoppers, are N&W modelers. The only people interested in PRR hoppers are PRR modelers, and so on. In that vein, note that the three most common PRR hoppers are readily available: The H21 and GLa from Bowser, and the GLCA from Westerfiled and newly released from F&C. The N&W H2 was made by both ECW and BLI.

 regards,

 Andy Miller