Re: Why so MUCH discussion on geography?

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Andy Carlson says:

I live in Southern California, just 80 miles up the coast from LA, and up the road from me (10-12 miles) you will find several species of conifers normally associated in Richard's favorite part of California (Northern). Big Cone Douglass Fir; Sugar Pine; Ponderosa and Jeffrey Pines; Incense Cedar; Limber Pine; and a Spruce or 2 I haven't identified yet. Search out the Modoc Plateau in Northern California and see xeric landscapes which make many areas of Southern California look lush by comparison. .
True enough. I noted several yrs ago that I could take a photo of a RR incuding the background scenery in FL, put it with ten others from states as far north as PA and you would not be able to pick out the FL one. Note: FL has more pine trees than palms. FL has more oak trees than palms. The point, however, is that if I wandered outside in West Palm I doubt that I would say, "I must be near Pittsburgh or if I wandered outside in Tacoma, or perhaps east [ not in the East ] about 20 miles I don't think I'd say, "I must be in southern Cal". Oregon and even Wash obviously have arid areas...been there...but not quite so arid as Death Valley. BTW, even Maine has a desert.

"Dig a hole down to sea level at Florida's highest point, and a trans-planted California Coastal Redwood would have a view of the state"
Yep, flat as a pancake...although we do have several peaks in the 300+ ft range. Highest is Britten Hill...345 ft.

Now, rather surprising, I have been told by an ex CSX loco engineer...and the guy is legit [ he presents at Prototype Rails ]...that the steepest grade between Tampa and some place in South Carolina is just east of Tampa...around 1%. There is a "ridge" that runs north/south down the peninsula just to the west of Orlando beginning somewhere around Ocala { I guess }. I'm guessing that the general elevation change is probably around 250 ft in about a mile.

Mike Brock