Re: distillate

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Ed,

Butane was a popular alternative fuel for large highway trucks in the west up into the 1950s. Most brands of trucks were available with an optional butane engine. I believe Hall Scott of Berkeley made many of these power plants. Why butane, I don't know. Maybe butane engines worked better at higher altitudes in the Sierras and the Rockies?

I've never heard of a butane-powered tractor, but it was probably tried at some point.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

ed_mines wrote:

Distillate was a regional, petroleum derived fuel which could be used in tractors.

I watch antique tractor TV shows and every so often thet'll show a tractor which runs on distillate. My recollection is that there are more than a couple of other regional fuels and some tractors could run on more than one fuel . . . .