Re: Prototype for new resin kits

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Throughout her service life, IOWA visited San Francisco a number of times, I believe. Do you happen to know if Navy berthing and/or drydocks in the area had railroad trackage adjacent to moorings or close by? I've long wondered if rail wouldn't be the most efficient way to resupply the Navy's massive ships, and, in particular, the IOWAs. I'd like to create a diorama of IOWA and such rail service, if it existed.
Yes, the cruisers and battleships were often at Hunters Point, where a large enough crane was available to lift an entire turret from the ship for repair work. The slip with that crane, and all other slips there, had ample rail alongside, usually double tracks on each side. I know because I've been all through that shipyard, now closed as a Navy facility but open to the public as its ownership transitions to the City and County of San Francisco. The areas adjoining the slips are of course nearly all paved, so practically all that trackage is inset in concrete or asphalt.

Tony Thompson
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937;
e-mail: thompsonmarytony@...