Re: Coal car loading on "home"roads...A. Thompson's answer (reprise).

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Folks;

I found this discussion very interesting.

The PRR, for one, in my area had actual "captive" cars, in that they could
not go off-line and were deemed either too od for interchange, or too ratty.
They were often stencilled as such.

The rest of the PRR "coal car" fleet roamed anywhere anyone needed coal or
other on-line bulk minerals, as far as I can figure. You saw PRR hoppers
most anywhere, but obviously as all have observed, declining in number as one
moved ever further from home. If there were intervening sources of coal,
that could be had at a cheaper cost (with transportation costs a big factor
in lower value bulk commodities like coal), then one might not see so many
loads of coal in a PRR hopper! The exceptions, as far as I can see, were for
those requiring a specific type of coal, like use of metallurgic coal in
coking operations, for one. This may have traveled widely. Ordinary
bituminous for power plants? Less so.

In the past, and even recently, I participated in numerous economic geography
studies that demonstrated how far away a business was likely to serve, based
on transportation costs, local availability of commodities, etc. The coal
business fits nicely in this area of study, but I have not been able to find
any studies that specifically focused on this (unlike retail market theory).
I would guess those economies would be the largest determinant on what you
saw and where.

Finally, at the end of this list's timeframe, the PRR did go to designating
cars in captive "turn-around" service, in strings, betweem mine and delivery
point, as so called "unit trains". These truly were not meant to leave a
given routing, back and forth, over and over until not needed, but as we all
know, eventually wandered out into the wider world...

Elden Gatwood