USAX Crew Cars

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D. <smithbf@...>

Hello all,

As many of you know, I have an interest in WWII Troop Sleepers and Kitchen
cars. Vaguely, in the back of my mind, I recalled some cars that might
have been converted from these cars at the Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum
in Calera Alabama...so we went over there a couple of weeks ago and here is
what we found!

The museum has 4 car, USAX G-53, G-64 and two numbers I failed to write
down or get in photos. I was told that these were "simulator crew cars".
The cars appear to be converted WWII troop kitchen cars (3 small windows,
left side), with express trucks, dual AB brakes, and some significant
modifications including large underbody fuel tanks. I took as many photos
as the situation and light would allow and they are posted in a new album
(USAX crew cars) on my photopoint site
(http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1312242). The paint scheme -
silver with the Strategic Air Command's lightning bolt fist logo is pretty
stunning! Obviously, with USAX markings, this paint scheme was applied
some time after the mid 1950s...

Does anyone know anything else about these cars? Would they have been seen
in trains, or were they pretty much fixed in place...I was told that two of
them are being used for housing for museum staff right now!

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center