Re: Modelers research library

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Al Kresset wrote:
You talk about the books being copyrighted. What about photographs used in those books that only had permission for that specific publication and had volume limits set on them. It is not unusual to have permission for a maximum of 5,000 or 10,000 copies. Or, is the need to have permission to use photos a "new thing"?
You are right that photos are separate rights. The publisher had permission to use them in the specified publication, not for general use. I have not encountered limits based on printing quantity in our business, but we generally don't print quantities like 10,000.

What happens if the photo rights belong to a different entity?
They almost always do.

Publishers of books on railroad history