Re: Coal for home heating?

MDelvec952

Amand's description of the metal chutes on these specialized coal delivery trucks best fits the description in the Anthracite belt coal dealers. These chutes had enough curveable joints in so they could reach almost any basement window -- it was always in the homeowner's interest to arrange the basement and coal bunker for easy access to a coal truck.

In 1990 I was driving between Scranton and nearby Taylor Yard and saw one of the old scissors dump trucks that had stopped traffic and had backed into someone's front yard. His bed was up, and he manipulated the chute which curved and telescoped as needed, then lifted the slide and the coal slid freely. The whole process was over before I could get close with a camera, but I did get a couple of pictures of the truck and the house from a distance. It was news to me that homes were still coal fired at that time. And it turns out that homes can still be coal fired. Some modern stoves have automatic firing, stoking and ash removal.

The Whippany Railroad Museum in New Jersey has a coal truck from a local coal dealer who actually received hopper cars in Denville into the 1960s and was a long-time Blue Coal (DL&W trademark) dealer. A link is at:

http://www.whippanyrailwaymuseum.net/eq_coaltruck.html

....Mike Del Vecchio

In a message dated 07/10/09 18:40:24 Eastern Daylight Time, armprem2@surfglobal.net writes:
As I recall, the coal delivery trucks had several conveyors they carried
with them. I believe they were electrically operated and had corner turn
pieces as well. I don't remember any of the coal delivery guys using wheel
barrows much, but they also had them hanging off the back of the trucks. I
wonder if any coal delivery companies exists any longer?

Vic Bitleris
Raleigh, NC