Re: Coal for home heating?

Norman+Laraine Larkin <lono@...>

We also heated by soft coal in the early 50s, then we switched to coke. This was Everett Mass., and the coke was from Glendale Coal and Coke located at the EG&F Coke Works in Everett. Solid coke trains shipped out every day from the "Works" on both the B&A (25-40 cars), and the B&M (20-25 cars) to local New England coke merchants.
Norm Larkin

----- Original Message -----
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2009 7:43 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Coal for home heating?

Denny's comment took me back to my childhood in the 1950's and 1960's. We heated our huge house with "soft" coal. There was a large furnace that shared the basement with my model railroad. I recall Dad banking the furnace every night and again before going to work each morning. He also carried out the ashes and clinkers in 5 gallon buckets. He kept the buckets of clinkers readily available for added traction on ice and snow.

The coal came from the local elevator and was deliveered from a truck with a special steel bed that would raise like a dump truck, but the rear opening was the size of the coal door in the side of the house. The coal was dumped down a schute carried on the truck through the coal door into the terrifying confines of the coal room in the basement.

Mom always complained about coal dust after a delivery was made, but I don't recall any problem with the model railroad.

And of ocurse the small easten Indiana town in which this all happened was on the NYC Indianapolis to Springfield, OH line. The coal was delivered to the local elevator in L&N 2 bay steel hoppers. A local guy was paid $50.00 to unload one with the help of an elevator. he was black head to foot when he finished.

--- On Thu, 7/9/09, Denny Anspach <danspach@...> wrote:

Subject: [STMFC] Re: Coal for home heating?
To: STMFC@...
Date: Thursday, July 9, 2009, 5:57 PM

I heated my home in northern Vermont in the '80s with hand-bombed
anthracite. Very hot, and also relatively clean; and when banked, the
fire could last for up to 48 hrs. without touching. Good stuff.

Denny

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.