Re: Coal Car Loading on "home" road

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

The CPR in Eastern Quebec got coal in B&O hoppers, as some Richard
Hastings photos show.
Quite a bit of soft coal was mined on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia,
served by its own pretty heavy duty coal road, the Sydney & Louisburg
RR. I have no idea where it was principally used, but inasmuch as the
only railroad connecting road was the CN, I would presume that they
would likely have been a major customer.

BTW, the S&L was one of the last holdouts in steam, making do well
into the '60s with a variety of second hand locomotives, primarily C&O
and some NYC, if I recall correctly. I have no idea whether that coal
was shipped out in CN or S&L hoppers.

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento