From: Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wed, Jul 15, 2009 10:20 am
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Patent Model of Railroad Truck

Quite a high asking price for such a crude model. I suppose that the reserve
price may be what it is due to the patent documentation that comes with the
model.

As for this patent being issued "just before WWI", that threw this Canadian for
a loop. The UK, Canada, and Australia (a few citizens of each are on this list)
were involved in WWI from 1914-18.

Steve Lucas
Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada.

--- In STMFC@..., "cvsne" <mjmcguirk@...> wrote:

Currently up for auction on eBay (no, it's not my auction and I have no idea
who's it is) is an unusual truck patent, along with the concept model.

You can see it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220450004938

Patent applicant is a Mr. Walther Chalfent of Brownsville, PA and the truck
has an unusual double sideframe design (essentially, there are sideframes on
both sides of the wheels. The patent application dates from just before World
War I - 1915-16.

From the side the sideframes look similar to more contemporary trucks, but no
specific features that scream "here is the origins of "XX" truck can be readily
identified from the images with the auction. I'd say most likely this is an
interesting concept that proved unworkable, too costly, or unreliable and
therefore never got beyond the patent/prototype stage.

Thought some of the truck historians on this list would be interested and
perhaps some may know better than I if anything came of this design - or the
patent applicant.

Marty McGuirk