Re: DL&W Wartime composite USRA hoppers

Gene Deimling <losgatos48@...>

Lou
The Lackawanna diagram book dated 1953 shows that they were converting to AB brakes and Ajax brake wheels at the date of publication. The trucks were listed as a USS pattern which appears to be similar to the AAR double truss design. I have seen it described in other sources as a Gould sideframe. Maybe someone else on the list can clear up this description.

Gene Deimling

--- In STMFC@..., "Louis C. Whiteley" <octoraro1@...> wrote:

On page 279 of Karig's "Coal Cars" is a photo of DL&W #81688. This USRA hopper was repaired with four panels of wood and steel diagonals in 1944. The 1953 ORER lists one other car with the same reduced 1840 cubic capacity, #81572. I haven't checked my 1948 ORER for other cars.

Can anyone provide additional information about these cars, i.e. AB brake system, power handbrake mechanism, trucks, etc.?

Lou Whiteley
Lawrenceville, NJ