Re: Thermice

al_brown03

As of the late forties, the most common source of gaseous CO2 was the combustion of coke. (Nowadays, it's mostly recovered from ammonia plants.) Upon compression the gas will liquefy and can be shipped that way, at room temperature but under pressure. If pressure is released, the CO2 becomes gaseous again.

At a dry-ice plant, CO2 gas is allowed to expand. Gases cool upon expansion, in this case enough to solidify the material as "snow". (This isn't efficient, and excess gas is recovered.) In a hydraulic press, the "snow" is converted to blocks. These must be kept cold, and are shipped in the familiar heavily-insulated reefers.

Above info from: R.M. Reed and N.C. Updegraff, in "Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology", 3rd ed., eds. R.E. Kirk and D.F. Othmer; Interscience: New York, 1949; vol. 3, pp 128-142.

So, a CO2 tank car would be used to ship the gas and liquid from someplace coke is burnt, to a dry-ice plant. It would need to withstand high pressure and I'd think it'd be insulated.

To be concluded when I get home and look in Kaminski's tank-car book.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "al_brown03" <abrown@...> wrote:

Dry ice is solid CO2.

To be continued, after I look up manufacturing methods ...

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Schuyler Larrabee" <schuyler.larrabee@> wrote:

At the North Shore Model Railroad Club, we have a Thermice tank car, which, we think, carried carbon
dioxide. We'd like to make some realistic waybills for it.

One of the other guys has found a location of the company in Thorofare, NJ, near Paulsboro. That
looks like a dry ice plant, not a place that would originate CO2.

Can anyone provide information on where those cars might have carried CO2 from and to ?

SGL
La vita e breve, mangiate prima il dolce!

Database version: 6.13030