Re: Adjusting wheelset gauge

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Don Valentine writes-

Have you considered machining a piece, or having a piece made for
you, with a pointed cavity to use with the NWSL Puller so the axle
point would not be damaged?
The problem of safely handling pointed-axles in the NWSL or other
wheel pullers is a chronic one, and the solution proposed by Don is
the easiest and most direct.

In my own case, a friend turned down the end of a short piece of
1/4" steel rod to 2 mm diameter. about 3mm long, and in the end of
this drilled a small hole deep enough to receive the pointed end of
the axle without distorting it. This 'tool' fits into a NWSL Sensi-
Press. The 2mm diameter allows the tool to actually remove the wheel
completely from the axle (instead of just adjusting the gauge), should
this be required.

One could do the very same thing with the NWSL PUller by turning the
same changes on to the end of an ordinary 1/4" NF knurled machine
screw (I think that is the correct size). I am certain that NWSL
would also do this for you for a very reasonable charge.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Okoboji, IA