Re: IHB 1937 box car details

Donald B. Valentine

--- In STMFC@..., "Dennis Storzek" <destorzek@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., "Schuyler Larrabee" <schuyler.larrabee@> wrote:

So, do I understand this correctly? A crimped seam is one where > >the overlapping parts have been
stamped so as to create an offset half the dimension of the plate > >thickness? So the mated surfaces
are on the centerline of the steel plates which make up the side, > >in plan view?

No. ONE edge of ONE plate was offset ONE plate thickness so the >inner surface of all the sheets were in the same plane, unlike the >flat plate overlap, where the inner surface was stepped like >overlapping shingles, which presented some fit-up problems at both >the top plate and side sill.

Who the heck came up with the "crimped" terminology? Offset would >be the correct term; crimped implies that both sheets were somehow >deformed to lock them together, such as on a standing seam roof. The >side sheets aren't crimped to lock them together, they simply have >an offset formed on one to clear the thickness of the other.


Thank you, Dennis, for the only illuminating definition of how
such an "offset" joint was actually formed. I suspect this was quite important with cars constructed especially for loads such as rolled newsprint as is evidneced by a number of cars rejected by the CNR some two years ago, not because of problems with the joints but with "wavy" car sides owing to their not being jigged properly when the side sheets were welded.

In response to your question of who came up with the "crimped" terminology it would appear to be someone who meant well but did not know how to use a dictionary to help them define the meaning of the word "crimped" any better than we understood the construction of a car side owing to the poor use of the word!

Thanks for setting us straight, Don Valentine

Join to automatically receive all group messages.