Re: Telephone pole flatcar loads

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 18, 2009, at 8:48 PM, Lee A. Gautreaux wrote:

I'm preparing a special movement of telephone pole loads over a friend's layout set in 1955. Does anyone have advice on how they would have been loaded? I'm planning on using 1/8" wooden dowels cut about 6" long and loaded in groups of about 9 or 10 wide with stakes in the pockets. How many layers would be appropriate for a load like this? I know that real poles were slightly tapered, but I doubt if I'll try to replicate that. Were longer poles of 80'-100' transported by rail often? I assume they would have been hauled in 65' drop end gons with idler flats.

Lee A. Gautreaux - The RailGoat
http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/