Re: IHB 1937 box car details


In a message dated 08/19/09 10:57:43 Eastern Daylight Time, destorzek@... writes:
While "swage" seems be applicable, it is really the term for the process that forms the offset, not the finished result. Some place I just ran into the term "swaged joggle", which defines both the process and the result. The same would be true for "swaged offset". But, do we care by what process the offset is formed? We still have to define what is offset or joggled. It seems to me that describing car sides as "offset lap seems" or "plain lap seems" gets the job done and leaves no question what is being discussed.
I had trouble accepting the name "crimped seams," which is why I put it in quotes in my original note. "Offset seams" seems to do the job, versus rivited seams.

....Mike Del Vecchio

Join to automatically receive all group messages.