Re: GPEX 977 and 969 Milk reefers in freight service for Ever Sweet OJ

Donald B. Valentine

--- In STMFC@..., "salemoryga" <wpmccoy@...> wrote:

Don, Thanks for the info on the Hood and Whiting moves. Were these moves to Boston? I'm certain you're correct that this was OJ not concentrate. I know the IM cars have their short comings but were the 6000 and 8000 gal. cars externally the same?. Unfortiunately they seem to be the only show in town except for brass renditions of these cars. Also did these cars in addition to the juice service stenciling, get full freight car capacity and load limit data like the Ever Sweet cars did? I gather the other graphics stayed the same as is on the IM cars. Did they have their passenger service appliances removed early in their freight service or was that near the end? Was this OJ service going during the 50s' and 60s?

RE Seminole Milk, we discussed this on the Milk Car Yahoo group a couple of years back. This was apparently a short lived one car operation that was transloaded as the processor was a mile ot two from the nearest possible unloading spot at Jacksonville Terminal Station. I see Athearn/Roundhouse offered this model on one of their MDT milk reefers (wrong car unfortunately).

I would very much like to get copies of your Ever Sweet photos. Maybe you can have them scanned. We can discuss further off line. Stan Rydarowicz offers resin reefer doors so I may be able to find something to replace the incorrect door when I see him in Naperville if I can get the correct demensions. Athearn seems to have gotten the paint right on their renditions of GPEX 977 and 969. Too bad it's on such a poor model.
Hello agan Bill and all,

Yes, both the Hood and Whiting OJ shipments from Florida were direct to Boston. The processing plants of both dairies were immediately adjacent to different parts of the B&M large group of yards in the Charlestown, Cambridge and East Somerville area.
The 8,000 gal cars were 52 ft. in length while the 6,000 gal. cars were only 40 ft. The quickest way to tell is to look at the side panels. On the 6,000 gal. cars there are three matching body panels centered in the total of seven on either side of the doors. On the 8,000 gal. cars that number increases to four matching panels out of the total of eight. If you are satisfied with the InterMountain car's
well documented shortcomings I suppose you could always get two and sacrifice one to get the needed panels or, more economically, get three and sacrifice one to get two of the needed 52 ft. length. The EverSweet cars, as you noted, can be modified from Walthers cars.
Don't forget to remove the boltheads on the ends and sides from the ice bunkers of the express reefer version that Walthers did not remove when offerng the car with only a different roof for a "milk car" version.

You suggest the addition of "normal" freight car nomenclature to the EverSweet cars. This does not appear at all in the two "as shopped and repainted" photos taken for the record that I have. In the case of Whiting, while I am well aware of their having brought OJ from Florida to Boston in such cars the specific cars have never been identified. The Hood cars are another matter. Whiting gave up on their milk tank cars, both owned and leased, over a dozen years earlier than Hood, the last known user of such cars for either milk or OJ transport, Hood not ending such movements until August 1972 as best we can determine. None of the cars remaining in use at that time ever received any additional lettering other then the "Push or shove to rest" at the ends of the car sides mentioned previously. There was no lettering added to denote which cars were for OJ service and which were not either. The BOL would provide the info. As to the lack of freight car nomenclature I suspect it was not required becasue the cars were always in dedicated route service rather than free roamers.
In milk service the Hood cars were limited to operating over a maximum of eight railroads and the Whiting cars six. In OJ service I suspect it was not many more and therein is probably the reason none of the Hood or Whiting cars in OJ service are known to have acquired
standard freight car data lettering. As noted, I am unaware of such lettering being applied to either of the two EverSweet cars and would like to see photos of same if they can be found. I will see what I can do with prints for you of the two photos I have of them but would suggest you query me privately in a three weeks or so to see where I'm at with that. I'm sure nothing will occur for at least the next two. You will need Borden's GPEX 950 as well.

Take care, Don Valentine