What's It For?

Gary Roe

I recently came into possession of a copy of the book "The Iron Horse at
War" by James E. Valle. On page 142 of the book is a shot of the ATSF
Argentine Yard. Directly below the photographer are two box cars with long
trough hatches on either side of the running boards. Further away in the
same cut of cars, there are five or six more. I can not make out any end
reporting marks on the cars, and the shot is from almost directly above so
the sides are not shown either. Does anyone know whose cars these are, what
number series they are in, and what they were used for? My first guess is
that they are ATSF, but that is purely a guess.

Thanks.

gary roe