Re: Diatomite, talc and cement.. in boxcars or covered hoppers?

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Steve,

On the Western Pacific, the first covered hoppers were 37' PS-1s. Most, if not all, were assigned to carry ground limestone from western Utah.

AFAIK, covered hoppers were more often assigned to the same commodity for years at a time. This avoided contamination and the need for cleaning.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

--- In STMFC@..., "stevelucas3" <stevelucas3@...> wrote:

I was looking for a new STMFC project last night, when I happened upon an excellent HO Intermountain ACF covered hopper car kit that I'd squirreled away. Just a nice model, though one has to follow the instructions Very Carefully. Very Carefully!
In 1956, I'm assuming that the most common usage of these cars would have been for bulk cement. But how about bulk loading diatomite or talc as well? Could a car be loaded with either cement, talc, or diatomite without needing to be cleaned extensively between loads? And can anyone reference an on-line photo of a weathered talc or diatomite-service covered hopper?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Lucas.