Re: Update - IM Santa Fe Ft-V flat car

Tim O'Connor

All this handling has resulted in two more repairs. Both the air hoses
and the stirrup steps did not survive my ham handed work, so they will
have to be replaced. In addition, I have replaced the wheels with 0.088
tread wheels from Branchline and the #5 clones with Kadee #58 couplers.
Regards
Bruce Smith

Bruce, I need a tool item as follows: a device that screws into
the truck bolster (remove trucks first) and that projects outwards
creating a protective "box" around the sill steps. With one of these
devices screwed into each bolster, I could work on virtually any
freight car -- painting, details, repairs, decaling -- without any
danger to the delicate sill steps, brake hoses, cut levers etc.

I have such an item for painting -- a metal jig with two metal
"handles" that screw into the car and into the jig, so the car can
be painted easily without having to touch the car body. But when
working on the car one wants to handle the car, lay it down, etc
and this always involves risk to the small details.

I can't tell you how many brake hoses and sill steps I've broken and
had to replace by now. I'm sure it numbers in the dozens. Usually I have
replacement parts, but not always. I'd much rather not break them in the
first place.