Loose and bouncy brake rigging

Robert kirkham

Bob, I should have followed up on your e-mail earlier - can you explain what it is that Jack Spencer is trying to achieve with loose and bouncy brake rigging? I "get" how Mylar would serve that kind of purpose, but apart from using it to make very small chain (not in this lifetime for me!), I can't visualize where one might want that feature.

Rob Kirkham

From: "rwitt_2000" <rwitt_2000@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:53 AM
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Polyester shim material

[snip]

I recall that Jack Spencer is an advocate of Mylar in modeling his
freight cars. He uses it as sheets as overlays and makes his brake
levers with it. He uses many different thicknesses. To bond it, I
recall, he uses some type of contact cement followed by cyanoacrylate.
He makes his brake rigging "loose and bouncy".

Bob Witt