Re: Hopper Car With Box Car Roof

charles slater

The cars assigned to San Bernardino were for engine sand and usually went to Oceanside, Ca. for loading.

Charlie Slater

To: STMFC@...
From: mikefrommontana@...
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:10:41 -0600
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Hopper Car With Box Car Roof

One possibility might be that the car was assigned to petroleum coke
remember if it falls in our period) with roofs and hatches, and while
they were unsuited for cement service, they did seem to get assigned to
petroleum coke service in the Billings area and some grain service. I
will need to look in my stack of old NPRHA "Mainstreeter" to look up the
exact info. I think some photos of ATSF roof conversions (not radial
roof) were in Mainline Modeler in an article about the AAR triple hopper,
year ago.

Michael Seitz
Missoula MT

Why would a grain car be marked for return empty to San Bernardino,
California? (Not exactly "the breadbasket of the U.S.A.")

The image on the link below is from the Kansas Memories collection of
the Kansas State Historical Society.

The image (taken between 1941 and 1945) is described as, "A view of an
Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railway hopper car at the shops in Topeka,
Kansas. The hopper car was modified using a box car roof and had a main
function of carrying grain."
Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTFoYcBwmbE7QYNfUEPV3Q5fABQC6SWGnRFh16SFsGsCb29JGjVWpy/

Bing brings you health info from trusted sources.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=pet+allergy&form=MHEINA&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TXT_MHEINA_Health_Health_PetAllergy_1x1