Re: TLT Slab Side Hoppers

Donald B. Valentine

--- In STMFC@..., "Brian Carlson" <brian@...> wrote:

I asked a question a few weeks ago regarding the TLT CP slab side hoppers,
but didn't receive any replies. I've read the messages regarding how nice
these cars are, and I have been going through books and photos to see if
they show up here in the western NY Northwestern Pa area. Thus far I have
been unsuccessful in finding photo documentation, but all that means is they
aren't in photos.

Can anyone enlighten me on why these cars were built for the CN and CP? Were
they intended for soda ash, grain, sand or cement service? I say them in
western New York growing up in the 1980's but were they common visitors to
the US in the 1950's? They are distinctive and I am trying to rationalize
one for the layout, but I want it to have a purpose. being a Canadian car it
wouldn't have been a free runner in the US.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY
Hi Brian,

The CNR cars began arriving in 1948 and were amongst the first 70 Ton covered hoppers built until Pullman-Standard began building cars of equal capacity in the 1970s. They were initially built exclusively for grain but after the CNR began to receive 100 Ton cars in 1972 they began to be used for other loadings as you suggest and also for salt loading. An interesting note about these cars was that in addition to most having friction bearings they also had split loading gates. Sometime in the early 1980's a fellow was unloading one of them, opened things up on one side and went around to open the other only to have the car turn over on him and kill him. Within a year or two of that occurrence, and in good part because of the repercussions from it, a friend in the CNR Mechanical Dept. gave the order to scrap the few that remained at that time and all were gone by the end of 1984.

With regard to CPR cars of the type, from the late 1960's until 1984 I used to see a lot of them on the CPR's Lyndonville Subdivision, the former Boston & Maine R.R. track from Newport, Vt. south to Wells River and on down the B&M. These cars always seemed to be for grain shipments, many of which also went into the large K.K. Webster feedmill at Richford, Vt as well.

Hope this info is of value to you, Don Valentine