Re: West India Fruit & Steamship #106 and #321

Richard Townsend

I'm a little late on this, but the quoted language seems to imply that Cuban cars came to the US, at least as far as the Port of Palm Beach. Hmmm.

With reference to the photo for WIF 106, any suggestions on modeling the door?

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Ross McLeod <cdnrailmarine@...> wrote:

I have a West India Fruit & Steamship brochure:

"Fast Movement for Perishables

Hundreds of carloads of Cuban grown pineapples, as well as other perishables are handled annually over this route. Loaded from fields into railroad cars, the pineapples are reloaded at the Port of Palm Beach into American refrigerator cars"

Picture shows three box cars none of which are reefers.

The car ferries ran between Havana and the Port of Palm Beach FL. This was formerly a service operated by the FEC.

WIFS had only XM standard 40' boxes.

Ross McLeod Calgary