From: proto48er <atkott@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thu, Sep 17, 2009 3:17 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Re: gondolas w/ cement cannisters

Tim & Al -

I have an erection drawing for the 6-cannister NYC cars around here somewhere. These cars had wood floors and four 6" X 6" steel angles, 24" long each, curved to fit the outer diameter of the round air-activated cement containers, attached to the flooring with four bolts each. A "top view" NYC diagram of the 6-container cars can be found here:

<http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-g43.gif>

The NYC erection drawing came from Bob Parri, who obtained it from Lance Vail back in the late 1980's.

However, the 5-container NYC cars had larger capacity containers. They were taller than the 6-container car containers, but they were the same outside diameter. The NYC USRA steel gons modified to handle these 5-container cars apparently had steel floors installed in them. This was done about 1947 or so. I have no idea what the steel floor looked like in these later cars, and have asked here to no avail. I believe that the LV and D&H cars with air-activated cement containers had these larger (taller) containers.

I believe that all of these air-activated containers were made by AC&F, since they were lettered "The LCL Company, AC&F Lessor". Perhaps the modifications to the gons were also done at AC&F?? If so, perhaps Ed Hawkins might be able to help here!

There are some aerial photos of the Jersey shore areas where these NYC cars frequented, and some of the cars are empty. I have not been able to locate those photos again after exhaustive searching - and asking here!

Al is correct that the NYC USRA gons with (12) rectangular brick containers had small wood dividers in the floors, but they also had guide assemblies riveted to the car sides - making the sides have a sea of rivets!

I have completed brass models of the 6-container cement car and the 12-container brick car, but have not started on the 5-container cement car for lack of information on how the steel floor sheets were arranged. Would love to see a photo of one of these cars with the steel floor!

A.T. Kott